Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Great is Thy Faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father! There is no shadow of turning with Thee; Thou changes not, Thy compassions, they fail not : Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

God is faithful!! How do I know? We have trusted him for big, crazy, miraculous, move mountains things in this last year and a half. I was looking back at my testimony I wrote for church for how God was working in my life a year ago...here is the condensed version of what I wrote...

Until recently, I have lived most of my adult life as a spiritually complacent Christian....not rejecting God but not totally in love with him either. That all changed recently when various life circumstances led Nick and I to seriously seek God's will for our lives in the area of adoption. Specifically to adopt a little girl with special needs from China. I prayed God would break my heart for what breaks His and boy did he answer. I can no longer sleep at night and pretend this world isn't full of suffering or pretend there aren't orphans....millions of them living in conditions most of us would shudder at the thought of. I can no longer pretend that some aren't hungry, scared, and have never known love of any kind....some have incredible special needs. My heart aches. As I scoured the bible for verses related to orphans God began to change me, not just in my burden did orphans of this world, but he totally made over my heart, my marriage, our finances, my desires. I could share so many verses and passages that have spoken to meme over the course of these last months. I am so excited about what God's Word has done in our lives. Phillipians 3:16 says God is working in you giving you the power and desire to do what He pleases. That week there was no denying what God was telling us "to do" was to surrender to His call to adopt a baby with special needs internationally with limited resources to do so on our own. This seems crazy to even us-we have two small children of our own, limited resources, and time and why in the world China?! This is certainly not a safe, comfortable, easy plan in the eyes of man, but God keeps reminding me every time I open His word that my job isn't to have it all figured out. David Platt says in his book Radical that when we see a biblical picture of Jesus, we realize the greatness of who He is demands the surrender of all we are and all we have. Our job is to deny ourselves and follow him with radical devotion. James 1:22 says Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. For us this means living out James 1:27 to look after orphans and widows in their distress with sacrificial devotion.

I needed to read and write this today so I could be reminded how mighty God is....He has moved many mountains for us and He deserves all our devotion.


No comments:

Post a Comment