Monday, January 7, 2013

2012 Testimony

In church on Sunday we were asked to reflect on the way God has worked in our life in 2012. And I started thinking what is my 2012 Testimony?

If you read this blog you know that 2012 was the year that we began the adoption process...probably the biggest step in faith for us ever. So my testimony is very specific to this process and how God has shown Himself thoughout this journey.

One of the most important things I learned in 2012 is that prayer is powerful and that no prayer is too big or small for God. In the beginning of this journey I was lonely...I wanted to talk adoption all the time and let's face it not everyone wants to hear it. I prayed for a friend to walk through this journey with. Not long after that prayer, my parent's met a family in my hometown going through the process with our same agency and also fundraising! AMAZING and ALL GOD! Another specific answer to gigantic sized prayer was open doors for us to meet the major financial obligations of adoption without going into debt. As I write this, we are praising God that there will be NO MORE PETERMAN FUNDRAISERS...yes, you heard that right folks!! WE HAVE ALL WE NEED TO FUND THE REST OF OUR ADOPTION! Thank you JESUS! And if that wasn't enough, I have been praying for a way to start an adoption/orphan ministry and God has provided a means for me to do just that! He hasn't reveal all the details just yet...but it is going to happen! He has shown me that CLEARLY!

I have also learned the importance of not merely listening to the word, but doing what it says (James 1:22). Listen, I have spent a life of being a listener and not a doer, a spiritually complacent Christian. There is just simply no reward in that. Living God's Word is so much more fulfilling than just reading it. I struggle a lot...there are times I want to be a reader and not a doer...life was so much easier then, but not one bit fulfilling. "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap the harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9...so thankful for this passage.

Lastly, in 2012 God gave me a burden for orphans. He has opened my eyes to life outside of suburbia. It isn't pretty. It's downright heartbreaking, but I am thankful to Him for creating this passion in me to be an advocate for those who cannot advocate for themselves. God says in Proverbs 31:8-9 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice. God, continue to help me speak up for the helpless.

All of this to say, 2012 didn't bring Baby Sister (it almost did) and it wasn't all flowers and roses, but it was GOOD and God is faithful ALL THE TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment